Each student will research one special needs topic of their choice, one that has not been discussed in class. Using the information in the library research session find at least 2 evidence based peer reviewed articles that relate to your topic. This will require at least researching five articles in order to choose the best ones. The student will search for one article that meets the following criteria:
A 2-3-page typed paper and double spaced paper based on the journal article. You may use Wilkins or another text book for an additional reference if needed.
The paper will include the following outline:
1. Information technology: Research and obtain electronically, print, and read each article carefully; highlight with a highlighter the important information.
2. Introduction: Etiology of the disorder and what was the “interesting factor.”
3. Trends and Barriers: Evaluate state, statistics of the disorder, regional or national trends and/or any legislation for the potential impact on provision of dental care.
4. Disorder, disease or condition: Identify, physical, mental, medical, social, and dental needs of people with this special need.
5. Role of Hygienist
b.treatment plan need(s)
c. interdisciplinary care consideration
d. legal and ethical considerations
6. Conclusion and reflection
7. Information literacy: APA citation format, references
8. Professional preparation: college level writing, absence of plagiarism, submitted copy of highlighted article
This guide was originally authored (and kindly given to Regis Library to edit) by Mount Ida Librarian, Tracy Joyce.